The definition of “part-time hours” has changed drastically over the years. Ultimately, the definition of a part-time job varies based on the employer. Let’s answer some of the biggest questions surrounding part-time roles to understand why.
What Do “Part-Time Hours” Mean Exactly?
An employer distinguishes part- and full-time jobs, the part-time employee works fewer hours than their full-time counterpart. Yet, the exact number of hours for part- and full-time employment is determined by the employer.
Many employers define full-time employment as working anywhere from 35 to 45 hours per week. In these instances, part-time employment is defined as working less than the employer’s definition of full-time.
Which Is Better: Working Part Time or Full Time?
It can be tough to decide between working part-time and full-time. To make the right choice, it helps to weigh the pros and cons of both options.
Workers may prefer part-time roles for several reasons, including:
- Flexibility: Workers have the flexibility to choose their hours.
- Work-Life Balance: Since an employee is working fewer hours than they would in a full-time role, the job can be less stressful. This can lead to an improved work-life balance.
- Earnings: A worker may be able to earn more by splitting their time between multiple jobs in lieu of one full-time role.
On the other hand, workers select full-time roles for myriad reasons, such as:
- Job Security: A full-time job offers the assurance that a worker will receive a steady income.
- Benefits: Full-time employees may qualify for health insurance and other benefits.
- Fixed Schedule: Many employees prefer the fixed schedule of a full-time job in contrast to sporadic hours that come with other roles.
Both full- and part-time jobs can offer career advancement opportunities. Those who work hard and do their best are well-equipped to accelerate their career growth, regardless of the type of role they accept.
Should I Pursue a Part- or Full-Time Job?
If you’re on the fence about pursuing a part- or full-time job, consider your options carefully. This ensures you can make an employment decision that serves you well long into the future.
Generally, a part-time job is a great choice for individuals who value flexibility. The role can help you build your skill set or pursue a new career. It can provide you with an opportunity to grow your professional network, too.
A full-time role offers more security than a part-time job. In this role, you’ll likely be required to work a certain number of hours each week. You may qualify for benefits and other perks as well.
Conduct a thorough evaluation of part- and full-time jobs in your industry. Next, you can make an informed decision on what type of job suits you perfectly.
Explore Job Opportunities with Help from Arrow Staffing
If you want to pursue warehouse jobs in Grand Rapids or other roles in different areas, Arrow Staffing can help. We offer job placement assistance to those in search of part-time, full-time, temporary, and contract roles. For more information, get in touch with us today.