No matter what type of job you are looking for, a well-crafted cover letter can give you a leg-up on the competition. It is your chance to make a first impression by showing your immediate value, enthusiasm, personality, and at a glance why you are the best candidate. Let’s learn about different types of cover letters and which one best suits your needs.
Job-Specific Cover Letter
This is the type of cover letter that comes to mind for most people when applying for a job, and for good reason, it is the most common. A job-specific cover letter is ideal for candidates who are applying for a specific job opening.
Referral Cover Letter
A referral cover letter is similar to a job-specific cover letter except it takes it one step further. At the beginning of the letter, the name of the person who referred you to the job is mentioned. This is a great way to stand out and gain cred by association.
Prospecting Cover Letter
A prospecting cover letter should be used when a candidate wants to inquire as to whether a company has any relevant job openings. You still show off your immediate value, but you are not applying to a specific job. Instead, you are conveying an interest in working for the company.
This type of cover letter is different from the ones previously mentioned in that you are asking for help and advice from the recipient. A networking letter explains your credentials and what you are looking for in a job in hopes that the person reading it knows someone who is hiring for a position that fits your needs.
Bonus Tips: Writing an Exceptional Cover Letter
- Choose the right type of cover letter for your needs
- Paint a clear picture of your credentials by giving examples, not just a list. Your resume already provides a list of credentials. Your cover letter should take it a step further.
- Discuss the qualities you possess. There is no need to point out the ones you do not.
- Avoid generic cover letters. Write a custom cover letter for every position.
- Find a contact person to address your cover letter as opposed to a generic email or mailing address.
Need Help with Finding The Perfect Job?
When you work with the premier staffing agency in California and Michigan, our staffing specialists will help you along every step of the way when it comes to finding the job of your dreams…at no cost to you! Learn more about the hiring process today!