Human resource professionals advise those who are looking for data entry operators to prioritize skills over education. In particular, operators should have top-notch computer skills, as well as being competent typists. They also need to be knowledgeable about workplace software and databases.
Questions also need to be tailored to fit the particular type of job the person will be doing. For example, if someone will be handling medical information about patients – inputting data for medical records or scanning documents – the hiring manager should ask questions that relate to these types of duties and responsibilities, particularly the applicant’s knowledge of patient privacy regulations.
In addition to technical skills, data entry operators need to have the requisite soft skills. For example, they need to be detail oriented, accurate, and able to maintain confidentiality. If they will be interacting with clients or customers, they should have good communication skills. Asking open-ended questions about their experience dealing with customers is a good way to gauge their communication skills.
Here are some questions to ask during the interview:
1. How many words per minute can you type?
2. How would you assess your typing skills?
3. What kind of word-processing applications have you used before?
4. How do you make sure your work is accurate?
5. How do you prevent data from being lost?
6. Tell me about a time when you had to enter a large amount of data in a short period of time. How did you go about accomplishing this task? What did you do to help you get the job done?
7. Give an example of how you pay attention to detail.
8. How do you decide which documents get priority when digitizing?
9. Tell me about a time when you received praise for your work
10. The work can be repetitious. How do you motivate yourself when doing this kind of work?
11. Give me an example of a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer at work. What was the particular problem? How did you go about dealing with the problem?
If your company is looking for data entry specialists, get in touch with Arrow Staffing. We have an extensive network of people in a variety of professions, so we can find the person you need. Give Arrow a call today to work with a top staffing agency in the Inland Empire.